The place de la Nation (formerly the place du Trône, then the place du Trône-Renversé) is a square in Paris, on the border of the 11th and 12th arrondissements. It was renamed the Place de la Nation at the national festivities of 14 July 1880 and is served by the Paris Metro station Nation.
Whilst the city bears the traces of the mur des Fermiers généraux built well beyond the buildings of Paris city of Paris in a campaign to encircle houses, gardens and monasteries, its construction left a vast grassy space of vines and market gardens as far as the medieval city wall and the walls of the gardens of the old village of Picpus, filled with major convents, schools and retreats. In this space a throne was set up on 26 July 1660 for the solemn entry into Paris of Louis XIV and Maria Theresa of Spain, arriving in the city from Saint-Jean-de-Luz after their marriage. This gave the square its original name of place du Trône.
Originally in the square were two pavilions and two columns of the barrière du Trône designed by Claude Nicolas Ledoux and built for the barrier of octroi (Mur des Fermiers généraux) which surrounded the entrance to the cours de Vincennes. The columns are surmounted by statues of kings Philip II and Louis IX.
The central monument, “The Triumph of the Republic”, is a bronze group by sculptor Aimé-Jules Dalou. It was set up to mark the centenary of the French Revolution, at first in plaster in 1889 and then in bronze in 1899. A personification of the Republic, looking towards place de la Bastille and thus creating a Republican axis still frequently used for popular demonstrations, stands on a globe in a chariot pulled by lions and surrounded by various symbolic figures.
Photo Credit: Mikael