Saint Étienne de Metz is a Gothic, Catholic cathedral in the city of Metz, capital of Lorraine, France. It is the cathedral of the Catholic Diocese of Metz and the seat of the Bishop of Metz.
The cathedral is sometime nicknamed the Good Lord’s lantern as it possesses the largest expanses of stained glass windows in the world with 70,000 ft². Its nave, 136 ft high, is one of the highest in France only overtopped by Beauvais Cathedral and Amiens Cathedral, and is the 10th highest nave in the world.
Because of difficulties with the place at the edge of the Mosel valley, the church could not be orientated to the east, as it is usual: the main direction of the cathedral is north-north-east. In 1186, a small chapel (the collegiate church “Notre-Dame-de-la-Ronde”) was added at the western end of the church, built at 90° to the main nave. The two buildings were separated by a massive wall.
Photo Credit: Mikael