Ritsurin Garden is one of the most famous and most beautiful historical gardens in Japan. The garden is situated in the city of Takamatsu and is considered one of its main attractions. The garden contains a tea house, various folk art and craft exhibits, as well as various folk art and craft items for sale.
A tour through the garden generally takes one to two hours. There are various bridges, footpaths and small hills which offer a beautiful view of the garden and the surrounding scenery, most notably Mt. Shiun at the western border of the garden.
The buildings in the Garden date back to the early 17th century. In 1625, the feudal lord of Sanuki, Ikoma Takatoshi, began construction of Ritsurin, specifically the building of a garden around the South Pond using the beautiful greenery of Mt. Shiun as a backdrop. Beginning in 1642, Matsudaira Yorishige took over the area and continued its construction. The work was completed by the Fifth Lord Yoritaka in 1745 after 100 years of improvements and extensions made by the successive lords. After the new Meiji government took control, the garden was designated a prefectural garden and opened to the public on 16 March 1875.
Photo Credit: Mikael