Teatro La Fenice (“The Phoenix”) is an opera house in Venice, Italy. It is one of the most famous theatres in Europe, the site of many famous operatic premieres. Its name reflects its role in permitting an opera company to “rise from the ashes” despite losing the use of two theatres (to fire and legal problems respectively). Since opening and being named La Fenice, it has burned and been rebuilt twice more.
In 1774, the San Benedetto Theatre, which had been Venice’s leading opera house for more than forty years, burned to the ground. No sooner had it been rebuilt than a legal dispute broke out between the company managing it and the owners, the Venier family. The issue was decided in favor of the Veniers. The construction began in June 1790, and by May 1792 the theatre was completed. It was named “La Fenice”, in reference to the company’s survival, first of the fire, then of the loss of its former quarters.
In December 1836, disaster struck again when the theatre was destroyed by fire. However, it was quickly rebuilt with a design provided by the architect-engineer team of the brothers, Tommaso and Giovanni Battista Meduna. La Fenice once again rose from its ashes to open its doors on the evening of December 26, 1837.
Giuseppe Verdi’s association with La Fenice began in 1844, with a performance of Ernani during the Carnival season. Over the next thirteen years, the premieres of Attila, Rigoletto, La Traviata and Simon Boccanegra took place there.
Official Website: teatrolafenice.it
Photo Credit: Mikael