Puebla Cathedral is a Roman Catholic cathedral in the city of Puebla, in Puebla, Mexico. It is a colonial cathedral, and is the see of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Puebla de los Angeles. The cathedral’s bishop is Víctor Sánchez Espinosa. The cathedral is dedicated to the Immaculate Conception.
On January 24th, 1557 the Viceroy Martín Enríquez (1562-80) designated Juan de Cigorondo, a neighbor of México for worker and Francisco Becerra was appointed architect. The design was submitted to the Dean and Cathedral Chapter on November 11th 1557. The construction of the cathedral began in November 1575, but was interrupted in 1626. In 1634 Juan Gómez de Trasmonte modified the design and construction was restarted in 1640 when Bishop Juan de Palafox was ordered by the King Philip III to finish it. It was mostly completed eight years after. On April 18, 1649, the Cathedral was consecrated in honor of the Virgin Mary.
It was not entirely completed until 1690. The front façade was built out of a black canther, and it has two towers, the tallest in Mexico, one of which has no bells. According to legend, an underground river passes under that tower and if bells were placed in it, the tower would collapse.
Photo Credit: Mikael