Ajaccio is located on the west coast of the island of Corsica, 210 nautical miles southeast of Marseille. It occupies a sheltered position at the foot of wooded hills on the northern shore of the Gulf of Ajaccio.
The harbour lies to the east of the foundation site at the original citadel on a hill overlooking a peninsula protecting the harbor on the south, where now are located the Quai de la Citadelle and the Jettée de la Citadelle. The modern city not only encloses the entire harbor but takes up the better part of the Gulf of Ajaccio and in suburban form extends for some miles up the valley of the Gravona River. The flow from that river is nearly entirely consumed as the city’s water supply.
The Torra di a Parata was built circa 1550 by Dumenicu d’Urnanu and Girolamo da Levante, on the Pointe de la Parata, facing the Sanguinary Islands archipel.
Photo Credit: Mikael